If you’ve got a Samsung, particularly one that has Samsung’s security app–Knox installed, and for one reason or the other, you have rooted your device, you might run into this error at some point: “Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available”. Asides from being an irritant, the error also usually means that your device cannot be updated Over The Air (OTA).
While it’s an annoying pop up, it actually is a good thing. The error happens when Knox determines that your software has been tampered with, and chooses to block OTA updates to protect your device from further exposure to malicious software or an update that could in theory mess your phone up.
If you do run into the issue, here is how to fix it
Here is how to fix it:
- Un-mounted the inserted SD card (if you have one).
- Restart the device in recovery mode.
- Go to Android recovery mode by pressing the Power + Volume down button.
- Select the “Wipe cache partition”. Restart the device after successful wipe.
- At this point, your device should be able to download updates OTA again.